Business Management Courses: How can I study business management?
Thinking about studying business management courses? Not only is business management courses great for developing a broad understanding of business organisations but you will also obtain field specific knowledge in areas such as marketing, finance, operations, information technology, entrepreneurship etc.
You can study business management courses in various ways including online, at a college or a university. College and university business management courses also allow you the option to study a class based course or through distance learning.
Let’s take a look at the different study methods for business management courses. We will take a look at both the advantages and disadvantages of the different study options. Hopefully, this will help you make an informed decision.
Study business management courses online
There are many institutions that offer online business management courses. These days, students can even choose between certificate, diploma and online degrees. If you are considering studying online business management courses, here is a list of advantages and disadvantages of online business management courses.
Advantages of studying online business management courses
- If you are full-time employed, online courses give you the opportunity to further your studies or study towards a career change, from the comfort of your own home.
- Online business management courses give you the opportunity to combine self-study with your family and work life, giving you the flexibility to attend to all your personal duties.
- Given the convenience and popularity of online study, there are a great variety of online business management courses to choose from.
- Entry requirements for online business management courses often have less or even no formal requirements to study the course, allowing almost anyone to study these courses.
- Some online business management courses have online study support, which means whenever you get stuck, you can get in contact with the institute that offers the course and speak to a tutor or business management course expert.
Disadvantages of studying online business management courses
- Online business management courses are seldom accredited and have low quality.
- The little or no face-to-face interaction between you and a tutor can make it hard to fully understand your course material and assignments. This can lead to you either failing the course or be completely incompetent for a job in business management.
- You have to have self-discipline when studying online courses, as you will be in charge of when and for how long you study.
Study business management courses at a college
College business management courses are great for students who would like to pursue a professional career in business management. Let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of studying a college business management course.
Advantages of studying college business management courses
- A college business management course will better prepare you for tough job requirements.
- A college qualification in business management will put you in a higher earning bracket
- Colleges have various course options including certificates, diplomas, and degrees
- A college education is more affordable than studying at a university
- You will get to experience “student campus life”
- You will be able to ask your lecturer for help
Disadvantages of studying college business management courses
- College education can be expensive and taking out a student loan can set you back for a few years (financially)
- By studying at a college you will lose out on an income for a few years, as you will have to attend class every day.
- Traveling to class every day can be quite costly
- You have to reside in the same area/city as the college or you will have to stay in the college residence, which will cost you more money
Study business management courses at a distance learning college
Distance learning education has grown quite popular over the last couple of years as it allows students from all walks of life to further their education. Let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of studying business management courses through a distance learning college.
Advantages of studying distance learning college business management courses
- Students who have limited access to learning institutions and the city can study through distance learning
- Distance learning education is flexible and allows you to choose your own time and place to study
- You can work and study at the same time, giving you the opportunity to earn an income and pay for your own studies
- Distance learning institutions often have easy payment options
- The entry requirements for distance learning courses are less restrictive, meaning you can study business management courses even if you didn’t complete matric
Disadvantages of studying distance learning college business management courses
- You won't have the opportunity to experience “student campus life”
- There will be a lag time between submitting your work and college feedback
- You will have to organise your own internet, should your course require it
- Distance learning requires self-discipline
- There will come a time, during your studies, that you will feel lonely
- You will have limited student support and will have to wait for feedback on questions regarding your work
Study business management courses at a university
Not only will you obtain a higher education with university business management courses but you will also be fully prepared for a professional career in the business management sector. Let’s take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of studying business management at a university.
Advantages of studying university business management courses
- A university qualification increases your chances of earning a high salary
- You will experience the student life in full and get to meet people from different backgrounds
- A university qualification will increase your career opportunities and employers will find you more appealing than other applicants
- You will gain great knowledge and skills
Disadvantages of studying university business management courses
- Event though a university qualification increases your chances of getting a job it will not guarantee it
- Universities are very expensive and you will have to take out a student loan to afford it
- You will have to travel to class every day
- If you do not live close to the university, you will have to make use of the university residence
- Universities have very strict entry requirements and you will have to obtain straight A’s in matric to be even considered for a spot in university
As you can see, there are many study options available when you want to further your studies. When choosing a study option, make sure you choose the study option that best fits your life, goals and budget.