What To Do When You Fail Matric

I Failed Matric – Now What?

Worried that you cannot further your studies because you failed Matric? Maybe you are concerned that you won’t be able to apply for a job without a Matric certificate. Well, we have good news for you. You CAN further your studies and get a job, even if you didn’t pass Matric.

We offer a range of provider programmes that is suitable for students who didn’t finish school. What is a provider programme you might ask? A provider programme is a course that has been developed by College SA. Although these courses are non-accredited, they still add value to your CV as they meet industry standards and needs. This means that after completing a provider programme, you will be prepared for the workplace.

What courses can I study without a Matric certificate?

We have a wide range of non-accredited courses (provider programmes) suitable for individuals who didn’t pass Matric. Click on the links to view the courses.   

College SA Provider Programmes

Reasons to study a provider programme

  • You don’t need a Matric certificate to study a College SA provider programme
  • It is valuable to employers, improving your chances of getting a job
  • You can learn a new skillset in just a few months
  • Provider programmes are more affordable than accredited qualifications

I really want a Matric certificate, how do I get it?  

If you are determined to get your Matric certificate, you can join the Second Chance Programme. This programme was launched in 2015 and offers free support to scholars who have to rewrite a maximum of two subjects. For the full breakdown of this programme, visit Parent24. You can also contact the Department of Education for more information.

Your other option is to repeat your Matric year at your current school. Although not many students favour this option, it is the best way to get your National Matric Certificate. 

National Senior Certificate for Adults

If you are 21 years or older and never finished Matric, you can register for a National Senior Certificate for Adults (NASCA). This qualification aims to equip students with foundational discipline-based knowledge and skills that will form a basis for further learning.

This senior certificate will improve your chances of being employed and allow you to further your education at a college. To study this qualification you have to have a:

  • Grade 9 level school certificate; or
  • General Education and Training Certificate for Adults (GETCA); or
  • SAQA-registered NQF level 2 or 3 qualification with a language and mathematics as fundamentals.  

If you want to learn more about the National Senior Certificate for Adults, download the NASCA Qualification page.   

Request a re-mark or take supplementary exams

Supplementary exams can only be written under the following circumstances:

  • If you failed one or two subjects
  • You couldn’t write your exam due to illness
  • You couldn’t write due to death in the family

In order to apply for a supplementary exam, you have to submit:

  • A copy of your statement of results
  • A certified copy of your ID
  • A motivation letter for why you want to write a supplementary exam 

You can download a Supplementary Exam Application Form on the WCED website.

To request a re-mark, you have to submit an application form and pay R92. 

To read more about re-marking and re-checking, click here.

Your options – summed up

Here is a list of options to consider if you are still uncertain on what path to take.

  • Repeat your Matric year
  • Rewrite the subjects you failed
  • Request a re-mark
  • Study a College SA non-accredited course
  • Look for a job
  • Become an entrepreneur / Start your own business
  • Help out around your house and community until you have made a decision