No Matric? You can study at College SA without a Matric.
Many people worry about not having finished Matric and some believe that there is limited opportunity for further studies without it. This, of course, is not true – there are many ways you can study further without a Matric certificate. At College SA you have two options:
Option 1: Get Adult Matric
Option 2: Study further without a Matric
College SA now offers the Amended Senior Certificate (ASC) programme. The ASC programme consists of 11 subjects. These subjects will help you prepare for the Amended Senior Certificate Examination.
Who can enrol for the Amended Senior Certificate subjects?
- You must be older than 21
- GETC Certificate OR Grade 9 / Standard 7 School Certificate (not recommended)
- Recognised N1 qualification with 2 official languages
- Incomplete National Senior Certificate
- RSA Identification document OR Valid Passport and Study Permit
Study further without a Matric
College SA offers both accredited and provider courses that don’t require Matric. These courses focus on enhancing your knowledge and skills so that you will become more employable. By furthering your education at College SA, you can take control of your future and reach your education and life goals.
ICB offers foundation-level courses in Financial Accounting which requires only grade 10, and Public Sector Accounting which requires only grade 11 - no matric required. Once you’ve passed the foundation level you are able to continue with the programme until you receive a National Diploma in either Financial or Public Sector Accounting.
Here is a list of Bookkeeping and Accounting courses you can study without Matric:
- ICB Foundation Level: National Certificate in Bookkeeping
- ICB Foundation Level: National Certificate in Public Sector Accounting
- CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting
- Pastel Payroll Administration Short Course Certificate
- Pastel Partner V14 Proficiency Certificate
ICB offers foundation-level courses in both Business Entrepreneurship and Business Management. Both of these courses require only grade 11. You are able to continue with these programmes until you gain a National Diploma in either Business Entrepreneurship or Business Management. The College also offers a range of Business and Management provider programmes that you can study without Matric:
- ICB Foundation Level: National Certificate in Small Business Financial Management
- Business Management Short Course Certificate in General Management
- Business Management Short Course Certificate in Credit Management
- Business Management Short Course Certificate in Production and Operations Management
- Business Management Short Course Certificate in Information Technology Management
- Proficiency Certificate in Small Business Management
Studying engineering without a Matric certificate is not impossible. The National Trade Courses (boilermaking, welding, fitting and turning, electrical and motor trade) require only that you have grade 9 with mathematics and physical science (no matric required). After completing your N1, N2 and N3, you are able to apply to a college to complete a Higher National Diploma.
- Engineering Studies: Motor Trade N1
- Engineering Studies: Welder N1
- Engineering Studies: Boilermaker N1
- Engineering Studies: Electrical N1
- Engineering Studies: Fitter and Turner N1
Our provider programmes build theoretical knowledge in specific fields of interest. These programmes are a good way of adding an academic component to your practical experience; whether you are already working in a field or plan to work while studying. Here is a list of provider programmes that you can study without a Matric:
- Nail Care: Proficiency Course
- Makeup Application: Proficiency Course
- Massage Techniques: Proficiency Course
- Facial Skin Care: Proficiency Course
- Hair Removal: Proficiency Course
- Salon Management: Advanced Course
- Beauty Therapy: Short Course
- Beauty Therapy: Advanced Course
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Adobe Illustrator CC
- Adobe Flash Professional CC
- Adobe Dreamweaver CC
- Adobe Acrobat DC
- Adobe InDesign CC
- Desktop Publishing Short Course
- Introduction to Web Design Short Course
- Digital Photography: Proficiency Course
- Introduction to Graphic Design Short Course
- Health, Safety and Nutrition for Young Children: Proficiency Course
- Crèche Management: Proficiency Course
- Introduction to Child Psychology: Proficiency Course
- Au Pair: Short Course
- Developmental Milestones (Activities and Safety): Short Course
- First Aid Save-a-Child: Short Course
- Cooking for Infants & Young Children: Short Course
- Child Day Care: Proficiency Course
- Events Co-Ordination: Short Course
- Tourism Marketing: Skills Course
- Tourism Management: Skills Course
- Business Management Short Course in Human Resource Management
- Business Management Short Course in Marketing Management
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) (Coordinator in the Workplace): Proficiency Course
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) (Representative in the Workplace): Proficiency Course
- Project Management (Basics): Proficiency Course
- Personal Assistant: Short Course
- Professional Secretary: Short Course
- Executive Secretary (Finance): Advanced Course
- Executive Secretary (Law): Advanced Course
- Executive Secretary (Public Relations): Advanced Course
- Executive Secretary (Human Resources): Advanced Course
- Executive Secretary (Information Management): Advanced Course
- Executive Secretary (Project Management): Advanced Course
- Executive Secretary (Marketing Management): Advanced Course
- Executive Secretary (General): Advanced Course
- Supply Chain and Logistics Management Proficiency Course
- Workplace Skills Short Courses
Other options if you don’t have Matric:
I failed Matric last year, what should I do?
If you are fresh out of school and you’ve failed Matric you still have options:
- If you’ve failed one or two subjects, you may be eligible to rewrite these exams in February/March following your Matric year.
- You can return to school to redo your Matric. You will have to speak to your school principal about this.
- You can enrol for our courses. We offer both accredited and non-accredited courses that don’t require a Matric.
I dropped out of schools before I reached Grade 12/Matric
If you’ve dropped out of school before completing your Matric, you can still study further. Many of our courses only require a Grade 10. Many of our accredited courses also have low entrance requirements, especially the ICB and technical courses. You can some of our ICB courses and all our NTC Technical courses without a Grade 12 certificate.
If you are over the age of 21, you can complete the Amended Senior Certificate programme and write your ASC Examination.
I am over 21 and I never completed Matric
Age shouldn’t hold you back from furthering your education, nor should not completing your Matric. We have study options available for students of all ages and all educational levels.
- You can apply for the Amended Senior Certificate programme
- You can enrol for a College SA course and improve your education.
I have work experience in the field I want to study
Our ICB courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). This means that, in the last five years, you’ve worked within an industry relevant to the qualification you want to apply for. E.g. if you’ve worked as a bookkeeper for many years, and now want to get a recognised qualification, you can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning. You can apply directly to ICB. You may then be exempted from certain subjects, or you’ll be allowed to skip some of the lower-level courses. Exemptions are granted by the ICB. College SA has no control over this.